Pages

Monday, July 6, 2015

The foolish Crane



A crane lived all by himself near a small lake on the sides of which grew tall coconut trees. The lake being almost dry for the summer, there was just enough fish for the crane alone to live. But the old crane was vain about his place, the lake, the trees, ‘how I wish other cranes would come and see how lucky I am’ he thought.




            Then one day he saw a flock of cranes flying past the lake. ‘Stop, stop, be my guests’ he shouted. When the leader of the flock came near, the old crane felt very proud and said, ‘you can perch on the coconut trees and eat the fish in the lake. The old crane went around showing the place. The leader thought for a moment and then said, ‘we are pleased by your hospitality, but we are so many of us, so permit us to go our way’. The old crane felt insulted and began to lament, ‘if you do not accept my hospitality, then I will give up my life’ The wise crane had no choice but to accept the crane’s proposal.
            So the crane’s took him at his word and began feasting on the fish. The old crane felt quite proud and strutted about in his vanity. Soon the cranes started to bet with one another, ‘I bet I can eat more’ said one crane.’ I have eaten six fishes already, I bet I can eat more, said the other crane. With all their betting, they soon finished all the fish in the lake.
            That evening the leader of the crane came to the old crane and said, ‘there is nothing here for our evening meal, we are grateful for your hospitality, but we must leave now’.
            The old crane began to repent for his folly but it was too late. As the flock flew away, the leader felt sorry for the crane, ‘if only he had listened to us’ he said, this wouldn’t have happened to him, because he is not going to live for long.
            A few days later, weak and hungry, the old crane died.

What we learn?
Pride or vanity never be better.


No comments:

Post a Comment