Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2015

The Greedy Hunter



There once lived a female parrot in a big banyan tree. In the hole of another nearby tree lived a venomous serpent. One day, the parrot laid some eggs and sat tenderly on them, waiting for the little ones to hatch. Unknown to her,

  

  
A hunter was carefully watching from another tree and one day he heard the cheep of fledglings. ‘Ah, this is my lucky day, the little ones will bring good sum’ he said.
Pretty soon, the little birds began to cry for food, so the mother parrot moved out of the nest. When the parrot flew off in search of food, the hunter climbed the tree and grabbed the little ones. Just then the mother parrot returned and seeing the hunter cried out, ‘please do not take them, they have not yet opened their eyes, why should anyone want to harm them?’
‘Why do you fear?’ said the hunter, ‘I am not going to kill them, I am only going to keep them as pets’. ‘Not only is he heartless, but also he is lying’, thought the parrot. ‘I must teach him a lesson’.
            Then the parrot set an idea.
            ‘If money is what you want’, she said to the hunter, ‘then leave my little ones, I will show you a place full of gold to keep you rich for the rest of your life.’ The hunter was very happy. He said ‘Where is the place, just show me now’. The parrot replied, but first you must leave my little ones in the nest, then you should follow me’.
After placing the fledglings in the nest, the hunter followed the bird. She led him to the tree where the serpent lived and then pointed towards the hole and said’ put your hand inside and take all the gold you want.’
As soon as the hunter put his hand inside the hole, he screamed with pain, ‘ah-ah, I have been bitten by a serpent.’ Within minutes, his poisoned body lay motionless and dead. The parrot watched this from her nest and whispered to the little ones, ‘it is a pity he had to die, but that was the only way I could save my little ones from him.’
           
What We Learn?

This story reveals that crime never go unpunished as it is committed by the greedy one.

















No comments:

Post a Comment