Pages

Monday, August 3, 2015

The Noble Cow


Once a tiger went hungry for days and so he decided to go outside the jungle and catch animals there. He hid behind some hills and waited patiently. The day was nearing to an end. As he was about to return to his den, he heard the jingling



Of bells and spotted a herd of cows heading towards the village. He also noticed a cow walking far behind the herd and as soon as the cow came closer, the tiger sprang on her. ‘Oh please, lord tiger’ pleaded the cow, ‘allow me to go home and feed my baby, I promise to come back and then you can eat me’. ‘What!’ exclaimed the hungry tiger, ‘let you go now after I am starving for days,? never. I can not let my meal go thus’. ‘Please my lord’ cried the cow, ‘have mercy on my child. I will leave him with my friends and I promise to come back’. The tiger thought for a moment and then said, ‘very well, I will wait for you here, but don’t be late’. The cow did not even let the tiger finish, she ran as fast as she could.

            When she reached home, she nursed her young one and cried, ‘drink, my little one, drink, drink, for you won’t see me any more’. Then she took her calf to her friends and said, ‘my dear sisters, please take care of my baby in my absence’. Her friends told her not to go back. But she said that she must keep her promising.
            Meanwhile it was getting dark and the hungry tiger was getting impatient. ‘I must not have let her go, she will never come back’. he muttered. He was about to give up hope when he heard the jingle of bells and saw the cow coming.

            A she stood in front of the tiger, she said, ‘here I am, lord tiger, you can eat me now’. The tiger could not believe his eyes, ‘eat you, never’ he said, how can I eat a noble cow like you. You kept your promise even though your life was in danger, I will set you free’. The tiger turned his back and headed for the jungle.

No comments:

Post a Comment